25th Anniversary: February 20, 2014About the Museum
Join The Sixth Floor Museum
As We Commemorate Our
Thursday, February 20, 2014
10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Special presentations, offerings and, of course, anniversary cake will kick off the Museum’s yearlong observance.
After decades of community soul-searching about the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, the fate of the Texas School Book Depository, and the challenging role Dallas would play in history, The Sixth Floor’s core exhibit, “John F. Kennedy and the Memory of a Nation,” opened on Presidents Day 1989. Now, 25 years later, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza is commemorating how far it has come and its transformation from a temporary exhibit into one of the city’s most significant and visited historical sites.
Join us on Thursday, February 20, 2014, as The Sixth Floor Museum kicks off its yearlong commemoration of the milestone with a day of special presentations and offerings:
• The Museum’s Dealey Plaza cell phone tour will be offered for free with Museum admission.
• At 11 a.m., Associate Curator Stephen Fagin will present a history of the Museum based on his recent book, “Assassination and Commemoration: JFK, Dallas and The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza.”
• Fagin will sign his book from 12 to 12:30 in the Museum Bookstore.
• At 2 p.m., Curator Gary Mack will present “From Outsider to Insider,” an inside look at the early days of The Sixth Floor Museum, followed by a Q&A.
• Videos highlighting the Museum’s collections, its ongoing Oral History Project, and upcoming Living History programs will be shown throughout the afternoon beginning at 12 p.m..
• The Museum’s Reading Room will be open between 1 and 3 p.m., showcasing some of its research resources.
• Enter to win one of two Museum Anniversary Gift Baskets; the first Gift Basket will be given away at 12 p.m. in the Museum Bookstore in the Visitors Center; the second Gift Basket winner will be drawn at 3 p.m. in the Museum Store + Café (across from the Museum at 501 Elm Street); No purchase is necessary to enter the prize drawings; limit one entry per person.
• Enjoy free anniversary cake at 3 p.m. in the Museum Store + Café.
• Receive a free Kennedy chocolate coin with any purchase in the Museum Bookstore or Museum Store + Café.
All presentations will take place on the Museum’s seventh floor unless otherwise noted and are included with Museum admission. Museum tickets can be purchased in advance online.
The Sixth Floor Museum will also be featuring a 25% discount off regular admission on the first Tuesday of every month throughout 2014, beginning March 4. Visit us on the following dates and explore the Museum at a great discount:
*Discount cannot be combined with any other offer; not valid for Group visits.