- This event has passed.
To Shape A City: Dallas After JFK
November 19, 2023 | 1:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.| $20
A special panel discussion at Thanks-giving Square—which is being co-presented by Preservation Dallas, The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza, and The Thanks-Giving Foundation—will explore a few of the more significant interventions that took place in Dallas over the decade following the assassination: the “Goals For Dallas” planning process, spearheaded by then Mayor Erik Jonsson; and the establishment of The Thanks-Giving Foundation and subsequent construction of Thanks-Giving Square, designed by architect Philip Johnson. We will follow the event at Thanks-Giving Square with an optional walk over to the JFK Memorial, another work by Philip Johnson.
- A talk by preservation architect Marcel Quimby about “Goals For Dallas,” a major civic planning process initiated by Mayor Erik Jonsson
- A screening of the promotional short film “To Shape A City,” which was produced as a public introduction to Goals For Dallas
- A presentation on the history and development of Thanks-Giving Square by Kyle Ogden, Executive Director of The Thanks-Giving Foundation
- A question-and-answer session with our speakers, facilitated by Nicola Longford, CEO of The Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
- A walking tour of Thanks-Giving Square, designed by noted architect Philip Johnson
- An optional post-event walk over to the JFK Memorial Plaza—also designed by Philip Johnson—adjacent to the Old Red Courthouse